"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, September 15, 2008

Celebrating our first wedding anniversary!

I know it sounds trite, but I really did know Mr. SingLikeSassy was going to be someone special to me on our first date.

Monday, January 23, 2006
My date with the jazz musician....
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

That's what I wrote on my old blog when I got home from our first date.

***************************************


Some photos of me and Mr. SingLikeSassy at our Sept. 15, 2007 wedding.

And here we are celebrating our first wedding anniversary. One year. 365 days. I'm still blown away. Just thinking about how hard it rained the night before and how I went to bed sad thinking we wouldn't have the garden wedding we had planned, and how the next morning the sun came out and dried everything up and made it SO beautiful makes me smile. I know some people are disappointed in their weddings, but if I had to do it over again, I would do the exact same thing, the exact same way, with the exact same person.

But the greatest part is we've been happy this past year. I hear stories about people not being able to adjust to living together for the first time or finding out something about their mate they didn't know before the "I DOs" and I am thankful that we haven't had those issues.

Don't get me wrong, there were little stumbles along the way. We both were stubborn about where to live -- his house or mine -- but we resolved that issue after I got my new job earlier this year.

We also started off our marriage with Mr. SingLikeSassy unexpectedly still on part-time status with the school district (he had gone part-time the year before so that he could go to grad school fulltime and finish his master's program), which meant half the salary, but not half the bills. That could have been a problem for some, but my husband got up everyday with his instrument, went out and made some (LEGAL!) money. It wasn't a lot of cash, but it helped with groceries and the smaller bills and I appreciated the effort he put in and his concern about me having to pay bills in his house while still maintaining mine. I'm just thankful that in this shaky economy I earned enough to do it comfortably. As soon as he was restored to fulltime status he refused to let me pay any more bills in the house he owns. My job is to take care of the house I own and build up our savings.

In any case, I'm glad I went out that Sunday night. Mr. SingLikeSassy wasn't my usual "type," but I met him during my "date anyone who asks and just have a good time" period. I stepped outside the box and was rewarded tenfold. That one date changed my whole life -- so take heed those of you who want a relationship and don't have it yet.

The other night we reflected on our best memory from the past year. I think it's important to remember those good times and celebrate them -- so that we have those to hold on to when hard times set in, as they do in any marriage. It's a tradition we will do every anniversary from now on.

And today I sent him some flowers. He's always bringing/sending me flowers so I thought I'd surprise him with some for a change. The note with them says, "As great as this first year has been, I know our best years are still ahead of us. Thank you for being a wonderful husband and friend. Until later, Mrs. SingLikeSassy."

Second anniversary, here we come!

5 comments:

  1. Hey there SingLikeSassy!!

    Did you get the invite to access my blog? I haven't been seeing you!!!

    Anyway..congratulations on the anniversary!! Be sure you share your thoughts in the conversation, "On Being The Excellent Wife"!!

    Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm glad your first year went so smoothly. For me the first year was the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm glad your first year went so smoothly. For me the first year was the hardest.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy