"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mini-review: Miracle at St. Anna (possible spoilers!)

Even though I am not a great fan of Spike Lee's** movies or war movies in general, I went to see this movie last weekend because Mr. SingLikeSassy never misses a Spike Lee joint and a blogger I read regularly worked as an intern on the film. Don't get me wrong, I respect his hustle and the many opportunities he creates for actors, musicians and other aspiring filmmakers, but most of his films are not on my must watch over and over list.

First, I didn't love or hate this movie. Nothing in the movie drew me in particularly. The little boy, while sweet, didn't do it. The relationship between the boy and the soldiers didn't do it. Lee didn't do a good job of making us understand why the statue head was significant for the soldier who carried it. I mean he found it in a ditch and decided to carry it. OK. What made him think it had special powers or some such? You get the sense that there's something mystical that Lee wants to convey, but it's never quite communicated. The spritual stuff is incoherent to me.

I guess for me, there was no there, there in Miracle at St. Anna.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts about the movie so feel free to share them.

**I chatted with Lee briefly a couple of years ago at the Peabody awards ceremony in NYC. A year-long project I ran won the award (along with many other awards, that was an exciting year!) and I trekked to the city with my team to accept. Anyways, Lee is really short and I say this as a woman who is barely 5 ft tall. Zach Braff was there, too, as well as some of the Friday Night Lights actors. OK, that's my brush with fame/namedropping story of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy