"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Delusional dreams

The last few Sundays Mr. SingLikeSassy has been working with a vocalist and it reminded me of this time an old, old, old friend of his bumped into him and was like, hey I wrote a song and I was hoping you could help me out with it.

Mr. SingLikeSassy told him to come on over. And hilarity ensued.

First, dude could not sing. At all. Secondly he had written the equivalent of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and lastly, he was DEAD SERIOUS.

So he was singing with his awful, awful voice and bragging about how good his really awful song was and how he was going to be a star and I was upstairs laughing so hard I could barely breathe. Every few minutes or so Mr. SingLikeSassy would excuse himself to come upstairs and laugh with me, then go back down and try to break it to this dude that he was not going to be the next Marvin Gaye, so let that dream go.

Mr. SingLikeSassy asked the guy about reading music and chords and notes and dude was like, yeah, I don't know about all of that, but this song is a winner, right? I actually commend my husband for his diplomatic and gentle manner of dealing with this situation 'cause I wanted to just yell down the stairs like Adrian did to Rocky: "YOU CAN'T SING, YO!" and throw him and all his stuff out onto the sidewalk.

After about an hour he gathered up the scraps of paper his song was written on and told us to look for him at the Grammy awards.

2 comments:

  1. :) Some people's balloons never land.

    And "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" is so good, they used it for the Alphabet Song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And "Baa Baa Black Sheep"

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy