"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The difference between what's good TO you and what's good FOR you

Now is the time to learn that lesson people. Insisting you can't do without Starbucks and cable is stupid if you don't have an emergency account with enough money in it to carry you for a minimum of 6 mths (preferably a year or more).

I like having money in the bank and try to adopt (and encourage) pocketbook and environmentally friendly habits. For example, I own a 4 year old car with less than 25K miles on it that I only have to put gas in about every 6 weeks. I can walk or bike to work or, if I'm lazy, ride the bus from door to door in about 10 mins. I don't *need* a car. I keep it cause it's a roadster, I look cute in it and I like to put the top back, but I could get rid of it and save money on tires, gas, detailing, insurance and still get everywhere I need to go. Plus since I own it, I can add the money gained from selling it to savings or plop it down on the principal of the mortgage on one of our houses.

I don't intend to be a slave to market fluctuations and employers' whims. That means we are working toward retiring our mortgages and positioning ourselves so that if a layoff, sickness or some other financial crisis beyond our control happens, we only need to worry about property taxes, utilities, maintenance and upkeep, other basics and health insurance.

So, no we don't have cable and yes I use coupons, take lunch most days, cook more meals at home and keep shopping to a minimum and even then we could do better.

I bet you can, too.

2 comments:

  1. Well said!

    We are very much in control. It all comes down to choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said!

    We are very much in control. It all comes down to choices.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy