"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, October 13, 2008

Hopscotch with the neighborhood kids

The kids on my block love me. I think cause I pretty much meet them eye-to-eye since I'm so short. LOL!

The other day when I pulled up to the curb, they asked me where my car was and if someone had smashed it. They were playing a game they made up that was similar to hopscotch. They asked me to play, too, since I was sad about my car. So I went in the house, put my purse down and hopped around outside with them. Then I pushed the littlest ones (I think they are both 2-year-olds) along on their little car that had run out of gas or battery juice or something (or maybe they just didn't want to pedal anymore) while they squealed and laughed.

What's interesting about this to me is the neighbors these kids belong to (they are all attached to one house) don't know my name. They have never asked me my name or who I am or anything and they have seen me playing with their kids. They've watched the kids run up to me and hug me when I come out on the porch. They've seen them petting the cats and asking if they can play with them (my cats are very friendly and good with little kids). The other day when I got home, one of the little ones came up to me and said he had to use the bathroom, and I helped him get back to his door. The mom (I guess she's the mom) never said thank you or anything, she just let him in. Even earlier this year when I went down to ask if the kids could have some Girl Scout cookies, the mom(?) said sure, but other than that didn't acknowledge me for the most part.

The kids are sweet and mannerable, but after watching The Wire, I wonder what they will become in the future. So I think I'll add them to my prayers.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing,isn't it? You'd think they'd take an interest or at least show minimal politeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made it a point to meet all the kid's parents in my neighborhood. I don't want no trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing,isn't it? You'd think they'd take an interest or at least show minimal politeness.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy