"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Shirley Chisholm kicked the door open...

Since we're celebrating "firsts" for black folk, today is the 40th anniversary of Shirley Chisholm's historic congressional win.

Chisholm was the first black woman to hold a seat in Congress and, since she was a bad azz chick, she went on 'head and launched a campaign for president in 1972.

Now, she didn't win, but she believed she could run, she believed she could be president of the United States, so she campaigned for the gig. Same with Obama. There were naysayers who told him it was too soon, the time wasn't right and he wasn't seasoned or experienced enough, but he trusted his instincts (and advisers) and stepped out on faith. And that's what's up, cause my daddy told me 90 percent of succeeding is BELIEVING.

So let Shirley, Obama and all the other trailblazers be a lesson to all the young people out there who "can't":

Yes, you can!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/06/2008

    I remember the nominating part of the convention that year. I listened to my portable radio under the covers to hear the votes for Ms. Chisolm. I was thrilled.

    -- grince

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy