"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This makes me sad...

UPDATE 2: Well, I showed Mr. SLS the blogger's posts and he said, "Hell no, I'd be out."

So I'll just sit my happy ain't neva taught no chirren overly idealistic SAVE THE KIDS azz down. Good night all.


UPDATE 1: I saw the earlier post I wrote about below before I saw this one and now better understand why she had to go. This just makes the whole situation worse to me, frankly. Sigh.


This teacher/blogger threw in the towel and left her D.C. public school last week.

As I've written before, Mr. SingLikeSassy is a D.C. public schools teacher. He teaches a subject -- music -- that most kids like and look forward to, but still he has to deal with behavior problems. Sometimes he comes home wiped out from the experience. So I can empathize with D.C. Teacher Chic. But I wish she could have found some way to stay in her classroom.

Recently Mr. SingLikeSassy was showing me his high school yearbook and in the future endeavors listed it said he wanted to play with a national symphony orchestra and be a teacher. Teachers -- and music -- saved my husband's life. It's his story, so I won't tell it, but maybe one day I'll have him guest blog about it. But just know that three of his teachers came to our approx. 50 guest wedding last year. That's how important they were to him and how much he meant to them.

For all the kids teachers think they aren't reaching, there's the one or two that you are making an impact on. Dealing with the BS is worth it for those kids. It is. Even on the dog days when my husband comes home just over it -- like the time he was alone on cafeteria duty and all the students decided a food fight would be fun -- he never considers quitting. I actually admire that about him. He knows there may be a young Mr. SingLikeSassy in his class so he tries harder. He talks to other more seasoned teachers to get tips and best practices and he gets advice from my mother -- a 30+ year veteran of public schools who went BACK to the classroom after retiring because she felt her work wasn't done.

I'm sorry D.C. Teacher Chic wasn't able to power on through at her school and I wish her the best in whatever she does next.

But it still makes me sad.

3 comments:

  1. We never know who we affect. Sometimes we plant seeds that only surface and grow years later. I'm very grateful to my teachers and I can understand how hard it must be to do it day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole situation made me very sad. I guess she chose what was best for her, which is definitely not what was best for her students. That sends a terrible message to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That whole situation made me very sad. I guess she chose what was best for her, which is definitely not what was best for her students. That sends a terrible message to them.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy