"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, November 6, 2008

YES, I CAN!...lose weight

I was listening to the radio this morning and heard Dr. Ian Smith talking about the 50 million pound challenge. I've heard him discuss the challenge before, but this morning he said something that reallllly stuck with me: Obama is a prime example of how hard work and determination can net results and we should apply that example to trying to lose weight and become healthier.

I am overweight and have been overweight for most of my life. Not most of my adult life, most of my LIFE. I've been on diets, joined gyms, joined YMCAs, joined YWCAs, joined walking groups, taken jazzercise, taken step aerobics, taken water aerobics, joined bootcamps and joined Weight Watchers at least 10 times. Suffice it to say, I've done a lot of stuff in my effort to be smaller, except take drugs, submit to surgery or eat/order prepackaged food because I'm scared of those and because I've always felt those routes were, FOR ME, a cop out. I can eat less and exercise more, so I should.

But lately I've felt defeated over this weight thing. I never stick with any of the gyms, Ys or bootcamps. And though I've lost successfully with Weight Watchers, it's never become the lifestyle change they recommend and encourage. I like food, it tastes good and, for me, it's a soother, a friend.

That's why Dr. Ian's comment this morning made me pause. Because he's right. Obama did what some said was impossible, he got millions of people to register to vote -- some for the first time ever -- and choose him as their president.

I have control over this situation not vice versa. And I should eat less and exercise more cause I'm getting older and I want to live a long and healthy life with my husband. He's worth it, I am worth it and our marriage is worth it.

So, dear readers, I ask for your support in my campaign to lose 30 pounds over the next year.

Change? Yes, I can.

2 comments:

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy