"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, December 7, 2008

My sisters-in-law want to be my sisters...

And that would prolly be fine if I wanted sisters, but I don't and never have and dealing with them over the past year or so has been a dance in getting them to understand that and leave me alone. 

I am not a "friend" person. I know I may seem like it on this blog and I am friendly enough, but I am not the kind of person who makes friends. People make friends with me, I do not extend myself. I also am not the friend you will be pal-ing around with or gabbing on the phone with to all hours of the night. Not me. We're not going shopping and we won't see each other everyday or every other day or even every week. And, you don't ever drop by my house. Not ever. 

I'm what my mother calls "funny actin'." I don't engage with people to that level. People NEED too much and have problems and I'm real practical and don't sugarcoat things. For example, if I say "stop crying about that man cause his ass ain't thinking about you. Get some ballz 'bout yourself, you are better than this" and you start up with, "but you don't know the whole story..." I'm finished with you. 

I have a small core group of friends and they know me and give me my space. I don't want or need sisters. And my sisters-in-law haven't picked up on that, so they insist on calling me (because they call each other all of the time and chitchat about nothing) and try to keep me on the phone for longer than it takes to share some information, which means that the next several times they call me, I don't bother to answer the phone. I am not a telephone talker. Email is the best way to be in touch with me. 

I've managed to restrain my natural bitchy tendencies so far, but here lately they have ramped up the calling to where I'm about to start snapping these chicks off. The new strategy is to call Mr. SingLikeSassy and then ask where I am and get him to give the phone to me, which, of course he rushes to do like the phone has cooties or something cause he doesn't want to talk to them either. Which makes me say these are YOUR people and if you don't want to talk to them, why should I???

So for the health of my relationship with my in-laws, can someone offer up some advice for how to deal with them?

8 comments:

  1. Pretend your both not home? Isn't this why caller ID was invented?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/08/2008

    have you picked out the furniture yet?
    i believe that the living quarters in hell are novery spartan

    ReplyDelete
  3. ProfessorB12/08/2008

    Let me get this straight: you're not a friend person and you don't want sisters. Why did you join a sorority?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was before I "knew" myself. LOL! You know you're in the "key circle" Prof B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ProfessorB12/08/2008

    Daggone right I'm in that circle! ;) Tell me otherwise and I'll be at your doorstep like, "'cuse me??" LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO, This post was so funny. Even though you are dead serious I would say cut them some slack since they are probably new to this like you are and just want to embrace you into their family. That's what happens when you get married, your hubby comes with his own set of people, it's life. I like your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO, This post was so funny. Even though you are dead serious I would say cut them some slack since they are probably new to this like you are and just want to embrace you into their family. That's what happens when you get married, your hubby comes with his own set of people, it's life. I like your blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ProfessorB8/20/2011

    Let me get this straight: you're not a friend person and you don't want sisters. Why did you join a sorority?

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy