"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, January 12, 2009

Do you have the life you want?

This story from The New York Times made me think about the trajectory of my professional life and whether I have ended up in the place I was aiming for...the answer is no.

However, that's not a bad thing. The medium in which I began my career is faltering. It's not the place to be right now, though I pray it will find its footing and revive or transform itself soon. Long before things were on shaky ground, I jumped into another, less popular (at the time) area because it seemed interesting and a place I could make a mark. I've learned a lot, am quite marketable now and am earning more money than I thought I would ever earn in this business. The skills I have now can translate to other industries.

That said, I'm itching to pursue a dream I never acknowledged as attainable. Mr. SingLikeSassy has made me realize it's not as out of reach as I had previously thought. I'm doing things now so that I can attain that dream.

But back to my original question: do you have the life you want? If not, why not and what are you doing about it?

9 comments:

  1. Wow, you really danced around that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lacochran: Really? It seems so clear to me. But, then all the pertinent info is in my head isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany In Houston1/12/2009

    I don't quite have the life I want...but it's not horrible either. What I am realizing that much like we've discussed offline, I'm going to ha ve to take the initiative to do some things FOR ME, with only ME sometimes if they are to ever get accomplished. I can't wait on anyone else to go with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @TIH: I think that's what it's all about, trying. I'd rather try and it not work out then never try and always wonder. The wondering would drive me bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you know I wanted to be a sports announcer because I really like watching the Lakers and thought it would be great. I ended up in International Trade and to tell you the truth I'm doing better than I even fathomed. I realized what I really wanted was to be FREE, my own MAN, and control my life without being around all the racist crap. I have accomplished all of that so now I enjoy the Laker games in Person and overall feel alright about not being a sports commentator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna go with no on this one... not entirely, feel like I'm on the right track to obtaining said goal (re: being where I want to be in life) ... but I need to progress from a situation that I'm realizing more and more each day is becoming stagnant... and I'm talking about from a professional stand point... this year is all about making moves FOR SURE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not fond of the life I have right now, but it's okay because I know that it is temporary.

    I'm on hiatus from a life that I love. Twelve years ago it was just a glimmer on the horizon, but I went for it. Although it doesn't pay as well, and I'm not as good at it as I was at the other thing, I'm really glad I went for it because it makes me so happy. It is definitely worth it to try - otherwise you'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Freeman: Did you think you could be a sports commentator?

    @TheStyleChild: You've been smart though, I think, in positioning yourself for the right move and not just moving from one O.K. situation to another.

    @Cyndy: Once your big project is wrapped up, you'll be able to get back on track, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well you know I wanted to be a sports announcer because I really like watching the Lakers and thought it would be great. I ended up in International Trade and to tell you the truth I'm doing better than I even fathomed. I realized what I really wanted was to be FREE, my own MAN, and control my life without being around all the racist crap. I have accomplished all of that so now I enjoy the Laker games in Person and overall feel alright about not being a sports commentator.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy