"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, January 26, 2009

I love that little Sasha Obama

Maybe it's because she's the baby and she's still young enough to show all her excitement and exuberance without being embarrassed, I don't know, but something about her always makes me smile when I see her in a photo.

I was reading a post on another blog about how the first family might help kill some of the stereotypes of the broken black family, the deadbeat dad, the single mom with multiple children etc. and some people were angry that it would even be suggested that the images of Barack and Michelle showing intimacy and love would have any impact on how people see the black family.

There are a lot of cup half empty mofos, I tell ya.

Every time I see them show affection for each other, be it the fist bump, the wedding photo on the bench, the handholding in the parade, the lean in kiss in the elevator, I think, damn, they love each other. Maybe it's because the Bushes were older and less expressive (though I believe that George really loves Laura). Maybe it's because Hillary always seemed pissed off with Bill and there wasn't a lot of chemistry between them. But, isn't it nice to see a little regular folk love for a change?

And maybe tangentially it will have some affect on the marriage rate in America.

Or, maybe it won't.

I still like it though. Do you?

5 comments:

  1. Watching the inauguration was almost like watching a fairy tale complete with prince and princess because they are beautiful, elegant people (in addition to being so freakin' smart) who are so much in love, that, regardless of your affiliation, I think you can appreciate that. Seeing a successful loving family as a role model can only be a good thing, for all of America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to see it because I know the masses don't really know black people so instead of the crime we are associated with they will see us through the Obamas. Now that's great and all but on the other side of that why do we have to show them the good side I don't believe they have showed us theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasha is adorable. The whole family is lovely. I don't care what color they are, it's just really nice to have a family that is smart, beautiful, and cheerful in the White House. They smile. They make me feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The munchkins, nay, the whole family, is definitely adorable. Especially on Inauguration Day, the girls looked so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to see it because I know the masses don't really know black people so instead of the crime we are associated with they will see us through the Obamas. Now that's great and all but on the other side of that why do we have to show them the good side I don't believe they have showed us theirs!

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy