"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Regrets and do overs?

I thought this was an interesting post from blogger 30 Something and it continues a conversation I've been having with some friends about dating and relationships.

Sometimes we hold out for something that's not there. And where does that get us? Old and alone.

Think about it. What if you had married your high school or college sweetheart? What would your life be like now? Or what if you had stayed with the nice guy you blew off?

I am married to the right man. Not one man I dated before meeting Mr. SLS was anyone I should have been married to, so I have no regrets.

But it's easy for me to say that while all happily boo'd up. If I were single, would I be rethinking and re-evaluating my past relationships and wondering if there were missed opportunities? Hell yeah.

However, the person I was in those relationships and the experiences I had are what led me to where I am right now and the person I am with today.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can't turn back the hands of time, so focus instead on today. Whatever cancelled that brotha or sista out, they are gone. But there's a world of new folks out there to meet.

3 comments:

  1. I am a person who occasionally suffers from relationship claustrophia. I feel lucky that my husband came along when he did and that he did not attempt to crowd my independance until long after that - when I was finally mature enough to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great message, lady. It's definitely harder to realize when you aren't, as you put it, 'boo'd up'... but it sure is the truth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a person who occasionally suffers from relationship claustrophia. I feel lucky that my husband came along when he did and that he did not attempt to crowd my independance until long after that - when I was finally mature enough to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy