"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Different strokes for different folks

A lot of the time my family gets on my nerves. I live far away because I can only take them in small doses. But sometimes I really appreciate them. Yesterday was one of those days. 

Mr. SLS turned 40. My husband was feeling a little apprehensive about this birthday. It's 40. It's a benchmark, a milestone.

From 8 a.m. on my family called and sent cards, text messages and emails wishing him a Happy Birthday. They love me, so they love him and since we celebrate birthdays in my family, they poured it on for him the same way they will pour it on for me in a few weeks. This meant a lot to him. He was smiling and laughing as he read the texts, messages and talked to my parents.

His brother and sister have *yet* to reach out to him. No card. No call. Nothing. This would mean nothing except I know this hurts his feelings. Don't get me wrong, he's not crying about this or whatever, but it hurts his feelings.

To compound it, for the past three years I've known him, his sister has bitched and complained about her birthday.

On our anniversary last year, we talked about our best memories from the past year of wedded bliss and one of his was the beach trip we took with my family.

So, for today and maybe even the rest of the week, I will think only good thoughts about my family.

2 comments:

  1. Families are collections of very flawed people. I agree, it's best to appreciate what they do right than dwell on what they do wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family sounds like mine and is the reason I'm sure I will never be able to leave in the same area code with them.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy