"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Friday, March 13, 2009

Sigh, I'm off my cake makin' game

I've just spent the last 3.5 hours making a cake. It's the same cake my Granny always made me on my birthday. I've made this cake umpteen times before.

So, I ask you, how in the hot ass hell did I mess up the frosting, which is what makes the cake? HOW DID I DO THAT??! My frosting (the main ingredients are homemade whipped cream and crushed pineapples) didn't set up. It was too juicy. I put it in the freezer, it was still too juicy. I mean juicy as in it tastes good, but it would just run off the cake (the cake has mandarin oranges in it).

I finally decided to whip some more cream (this means chilling the bowl, chilling the wire whisk, chilling the measuring cup) and fold in some of the juicy cake frosting. That worked, but it's not the same frosting and, as a result, it is not THE cake, the one Granny always made for me that I was SO set on making for this birthday party I'm throwing tomorrow for Mr. SLS.

I don't like making or serving half-assed shit. Yes, I'm sure no one else will notice cause the reworked frosting is fine, it's actually lighter since it's more whipped cream than anything else, but now I feel like I'm about to embarrass my husband with a bunch o' nasty ass food that people will be talking about for years to come...

I need to go to bed. Start fresh in the a.m.

::curls up in fetal position on bed, praying that cake and food don't bomb::

4 comments:

  1. It will be just fine. Stop being so hard on yourself. Just think...nobody is used to real from scatch cake anyway so TRUST...they will notice the freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is that slice of cake one of your creations? if so, looks taste-tastical :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be just fine. Stop being so hard on yourself. Just think...nobody is used to real from scatch cake anyway so TRUST...they will notice the freshness.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy