"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, April 26, 2009

I just called to say I love you

I tell Mr. SLS I love him all of the time. For example, I might yell down the stairs "I LOVE YOU!" randomly just because I felt it. It's real freeing for me to be able to express myself and have it reciprocated. He's the only person I am like that with or have ever been like that with.

In past relationships it was hard for me to say those words. Even with my parents. When we get off the phone and they say they love me it seems...odd. And it's because they didn't say that to me when I was growing up. I realize that as I have grown up they have grown as people and part of that is trying to have a different relationship with me, including telling me that they love me and hugging me and generally trying to be more expressive about their love for me. It's still weird to me though.

It's never seemed weird to hear Mr. SLS tell me he loved me. When he told me the first time, I said, "I know. I love you too." Cause I did know before he told me how he felt about me. Just like I know my parents love me. But the dynamics of our relationship from early on was not a "loving" one, it was very "I am the parent, you are the child, do as I say, not as I do."

That's why I love the way my husband loves me. The way he always kisses me when he leaves in the morning and hugs me when I get home in the evening and asks how my day was.

For the past three days I have barely seen him because he's been working a long three day gig, leaving before I woke up and not getting home until after I was asleep. But he called to tell me he missed me. That was the best thing ever.

I can't wait until he gets home so I can tell him I love him.

1 comment:

  1. okay, this is so damn sweet, I wanna cry.
    How did you know that your husband loved you before he told you?

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy