"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Friday, April 3, 2009

Sometimes "crazy" is OK

Now, I know reading that title some of you are giving me the side-eye, but for real, too often we let other people decide that our quirkiness is craziness.

I wish with all my might that I had been more confident and had less teen angst when I was in high school and college. For a semester (in high school) I tried to be a mashup of Prince and Madonna. I wore purple tights and pink shoes and all kinds of things that were really just me expressing what I learned is my very artistic, creative and (overly) dramatic self, but no one got it and I wasn't courageous enough to just BE ME so after awhile I conformed.

Years passed before I learned that who I was was OK. Trying to fit a square into a triangle was not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy