"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hairy issues

My mother has never known how to do hair, not hers and definitely not mine. Until she went natural a couple of years ago, she got her hair done every Friday at 4 p.m. like clockwork.

When I was little my Grandma would straighten my hair with a hot comb for Easter and put the little roller in it so I could have a bang in front. Otherwise I wore it braided. I never had the fat ponytails like the other girls. I so wanted fat ponytails.

Then when I was in the 6th grade my mother decided to have a jheri curl put in my head. Sigh. As I said earlier, she couldn't do hair, and my hair is much finer than hers and wouldn't hold a curl for a week as hers did. She thought this was a carefree (<--haha!) way to make sure my hair was done. I wore the curl until I went to college. I still looked jacked up, however, cause it took me some time to learn how to use curling irons. But once I got the hang of it, I was off to the races.

At one (really broke) point in time I could relax, wrap or roller set my hair, while also touching up my color rinse and I thought I was the bomb diggity. Yes, I dye my hair. I started graying at 16 and now have a skunk stripe. I got permanent color back in 1992 and despite the stylist testing and doing all she was supposed to do, my hair fell out in clumps two weeks later. This was a week before I had to be in a friend's wedding. So every month since I've gotten a color rinse with the exception of Jan. 2009 when I didn't have a relaxer and got permanent dye again.

Over the years I've tried wigs, weaves, braids, two strand twists and most recently, a natural. But you know what works best for my hair? Going to the hairdresser every other week, good conditioning and staying away from curling/flat irons.

I get my hair done on Saturday and this lasts til about Friday with me just fingerstyling and then I wash, condition and wear it natural for a week.

It only took 30+ years to get here...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    I understand what you mean... my mother was not skilled at doing my hair... and my father thought HE was the bomb-diggity stylist for me and my sister and he would jump into it and try and "create" styles!

    The neighborhood kids would be cracking up when we left the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!

    I understand what you mean... my mother was not skilled at doing my hair... and my father thought HE was the bomb-diggity stylist for me and my sister and he would jump into it and try and "create" styles!

    The neighborhood kids would be cracking up when we left the house!

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy