"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chicken gizzards

I said a couple of posts ago that I saw my fibroids. Well here's what happened and it underscores why I really like my surgeon.

As I lay on the gurney in the pre-op area the surgeon came to visit me and I said, "I want to see what you cut out of me." He looked taken aback for a minute but when I said I wanted to see what was causing all the havoc in my body, he said, "After your surgery, tell the nurse you want to go to pathology to see them."

After they unhooked me from everything but the IV and I had done my first walk, I mentioned going to pathology to see my fibroids to the nurse and she said, "Oh, I don't think you can do that."

Then an assistant somebody to the surgeon came in to check on me and I mentioned to her and she hemmed and hawed and then pretty much said I couldn't do it.

About 10 minutes later the nurse I mentioned this to earlier comes in pushing a wheelchair and says, "Come along, we're going to pathology! Dr. [name redacted cause it's nobody's business] called and told them to get your fibroids out because you want to see them and for us to take you down."

I go down to pathology and they are puzzled about why I want to see this, but they show them to me and explain what they have done to them and what happens next.

They kinda looked like this, except much, much bigger. And rounder:


But then there were lots and lots of smaller ones that had been sliced up so they could examine them under the microscope and make sure they were fibroids and not cancerous cysts.

I wanted to touch them, but they were floating in formaldehyde so that was verboten.

All in all, it was a great teachable moment.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a good - and personable - surgeon! Hope that all is well and that you're recovering nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy