"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, October 5, 2009

I'm going to hell

My bro-in-law lost his job for doing something he had no business. He and his wife want to move into my house I have listed for sale/rent.

Here's the reason why I'm going to hell in a handbasket: I just spent a grip getting this house ready for sale and am not inclined to have them, their four kids and great big vicious scary ass dog moving in it messing all that up. Especially since they can't afford to pay the rent I quoted or any amount close to it.

Mr. SLS says he ain't inclined to be helpful because his brother is damn near 50 doing the same stupid ish, and what he did is very very very stupid.

I happen to like my bro-in-law's wife, and LOVE their kids, and I would not want them in the street. I told Mr. SLS either we let them stay in the house now or we end up giving them money later.

Mr. SLS said let's just mull it over. But, it's my house, so ultimately I have the last word.

We will do the right thing.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, what a horrible situation. Remember to do what's right for you, not for them. It is not your responsibility to fix their problems. If you can be helpful, great. But don't do what you know isn't in your best interest.

    Of course, I write the above knowing you didn't write to Dear Alinthecounty, so take it for what its worth. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I have rental property and I'm always scared to rent it to friends or family members (or ex-boyfriends). It's just going to be money lost. If you can't afford to pay for them to live there, then they can't live there. I never rented to anyone I knew because I knew that if they didn't pay me, I couldn't afford to pay another mortgage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If things go badly, there will be bad feelings in the family which isn't good. If you don't help them out, there will be bad feelings in the family. If you give them cheap rent, they will expect it forever and resent any increase. They sound like they will not respect your property meaning they will likely cost more in repairs than they will pay in rent (once you subtract property taxes) It will be hell getting them out if it becomes necessary. If you can't afford to have zero income from this property, then I would listen to your husband (he knows his brother well) and keep family family and business business.

    I love my sister dearly but I wouldn't rent to her. She's a bad credit risk and would take even more advantage of family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This house has been sitting empty for two years so I can afford to pay for them to live there, it's just a matter of if I want to...and I don't. I would rather lay some cash on 'em, chalk that up to an "L" and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, what a horrible situation. Remember to do what's right for you, not for them. It is not your responsibility to fix their problems. If you can be helpful, great. But don't do what you know isn't in your best interest.

    Of course, I write the above knowing you didn't write to Dear Alinthecounty, so take it for what its worth. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This house has been sitting empty for two years so I can afford to pay for them to live there, it's just a matter of if I want to...and I don't. I would rather lay some cash on 'em, chalk that up to an "L" and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy