"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Some folks got "Good Hair" twisted

I have friend who said she didn't like the movie. She felt it should have been a doc OR a comedy. She also doesn't like Chris Rock.

I, of course, enjoyed it as did Mr. SLS. But then, we *love* Chris Rock. In fact, for my birthday last year we went to see him perform.

I didn't approach this movie thinking it would be anything more than what it is -- a movie-length funny look at the craziness that is hair in the black community. I don't know how anyone who saw the previews could think it would be anything BUT that. Did you see the cast: Ice T? Video Vixen chickie? Derek J of Real Housewives fame? C'mon people.

I think part of the problem is that some people are taking this black hair thing too damn far. CreoleinDC has posted a few times about the "high hair priestesses" on her blog. In sum up, they are women who are fanatic about natural hair and generally believe if you opt for straightened or relaxed hair then you are selling out and adhering to the "white media's" brainwashing or some such bullshit.

This is MY hair and if I want it straight I'll wear it straight. If you want cornrows or twists or dreds or whatever on your head, do that, but that looks like shit on me. I don't have to prove I'm the blackest or downest or closest to my African ancestors via my hair or clothes or activities.

I've had braids and two-strand twists and a natural 'fro. All of that was a bad look for me and when I got tired of looking fugged up, I relaxed my situation and now I'm cute as all get out again and all is right in MY world.

Some of the same folks screaming "down with relaxers" are keeping McDonalds in money and get mad when they can't get their free fried chicken from Popeye's. Natural and healthy is only important when it's your hair. That's dumb to me.

As for "Good Hair" -- it got folks talking about hair in the black community. Good. ::runs comb through relaxed hair::

2 comments:

  1. "Natural and healthy is only important when it's your hair. That's dumb to me. "

    Me too. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Natural and healthy is only important when it's your hair. That's dumb to me. "

    Me too. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy