"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spanking -- yay or nay?

If you have children, do you spank them? Why or why not?

If you don't have kids, but hope to have them, will you spank your children? Why or why not?

I didn't get spanked a lot but I was spanked. Mostly from my mom because my dad was the nuclear option. If he spanked us we had *really* done something wrong.

For example: When my brother was learning to walk he would crawl up the stairs at our house. One day I waited patiently at the top of the stairs until he got to the top and slammed the door in his face. He fell all the way back down the stairs. My daddy spanked me. And he should have cause that was some devil spawn ish. What if I had killed my brother??! My mama gave me some more when she got home and heard the story. My Grandma might have added some licks in when she heard about it, too. Granny has never spanked me. Neither did either of my grandfathers.

But for the most part, I was rotten. I cried and had tantrums when I didn't get my way. I did that until I was maybe 11, which was too damn old for all that, but my parents didn't break me. Grandma did, though. She gave me the old "I better not see one tear fall from your eye or I'm going to give you something to cry about!" business and I learned to keep my eyes bone dry.

I also manipulated my parents and grandparents. My Granny never liked my mama and I picked up on that really early so I knew if my mama told me no, all I had to do was tell Granny that my mama said no and whatever it was I wanted I would get it. That worked for a long, long, LONNNNNNNNNNNG time.

WIll I spank my kid? If we are blessed with a child I will discipline him or her appropriately based on age and infraction. Mr. SLS and I have discussed this and are on the same page.

2 comments:

  1. I don't ever remember being spanked. I hardly doubt my husband as well. Shame on us for not having this discussion, but I do know, just from our personalities, that spanking will not ever be an option. I am a teacher and I am a big fan of time outs and removing children from problem situations and being attentive enough to try to stop a problem before it starts.

    This is such a touchy subject. Good for you for putting it right out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10/28/2009

    Yes, I was spanked as a child. Yes, I spanked my children.

    LisaB

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy