"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last night as I baked my pies (pumpkin and sweet potato), made my cake and prepped my ham, greens, beans and other stuff so I could get them cooked in an efficient manner today, I talked to my two grandmothers. They like to "help" me when I'm doing big meals.

Grandma wants to make sure I washed the greens good and got the smoked turkey to season them with while they are cooking. She reminds me that fresh turkeys can taste gamey and walks me through her secret for fixing that.

Granny likes to give me little tips when I'm baking. "Cut it with a little butter and it will taste better." "I know it said a 1/2 cup, but add an extra 2 tsps."

For my grandmothers, cooking a big meal right (right to them means folks can't stop talking about how good it is, eat seconds and thirds, leave with plates and call making requests for specific dishes -- so far, so good) is evidence that they trained me up right in being a good wife and homemaker.

My mother -- who is very NON-homemakerish -- taught me about being independent and strong. To speak my mind.

My dad taught me to "control those things I can control."

And for all that and much, much more, I am thankful. Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. It's ironic that you wrote this post. On Wednesday, I was talking to a friend about what I was going to make for Thanksgiving and expressed my frustration about how so many of us young "independent" women want to buy everything — from cakes and pies to the turkey and dressing — for Thanksgiving. I'm from Mississippi and I was taught that you COOKED Thanksgiving dinner, not buy it out of a store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lottie: Girl, please!! I was raised by cooking folks. I would shame them if I bought Tday dinner and served it. It's not that hard to make a holiday meal, you just plan it out.

    But I will say I do sometimes think about all the stuff my grandmothers/aunts/mama do that will be lost once they are gone, like cleaning/cooking chitlins and canning and all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy