"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving recap: Recipes

I never laid out my menu for you so you could see what a bad azz I am in the kitchen. LOL!

But really, here are a couple of the dishes we had that our guests loved.

I brine my turkey -- which is always fresh, never frozen! -- then cook it breast down in a roasting bag. Turn it over during the last 30 minutes and split the bag open so that it can brown. Baste it well. Add a chopped onion, some celery, some garlic cloves, fresh thyme, rosemary and sage to the inside.

You can find brine recipes all over, but here's one a chef/food writer friend of mine recommends (video and recipe). You can also go to Williams-Sonoma and get a brine as well. I've done both of them and got rave reviews on my turkeys each time.

This year I did a couple of new (to me) dishes: oyster stuffing and pumpkin pie. I don't like pumpkin pie, but Mr. SLS has been asking me to make him one for two years so this year I decided to try it. I found this recipe for a pumpkin gingersnap pie in the O Magazine that seemed simple enough to pull off and it was easy, though I did make some variations because I cook by instinct more than following recipes by the letter. This was a winner. My brother-in-law wanted to take the whole thing home and told my husband, he "had it good" and thanked him for marrying me. LOL!

As for the oyster stuffing, my aunt makes this and I hadn't tried it before, but thought I would switch up this year. It was a hit as well. I can't really share the recipe for what I made, because I didn't follow it to the letter either, as I decided to try a twist on the breading and added some other stuff. But, the google will give you plenty of recipes. I'll probably be making this every year.

Mr. SLS made an au gratin, using gruyere, cream, nutmeg, white pepper, shitake, crimini and oyster mushroom. It's easy to make and a regular crowd pleaser.

Finally, our guests brought this dish, which was a winner with me and Mr. SLS: brussel sprouts with bacon and figs (video and recipe).
Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. That meal sounds heavenly. My sister in law did the turkey in the bag thing and it was fantastic - the best turkey I've ever had.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy