"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, March 22, 2010

My spring project...

Is to make our backyard into a space I want to spend time in. In the four years we have been together, I have been in our backyard once. My gray tabby ran out there and I had to get him back into the house. Other than that, I haven't even turned the doorknob on the back door.

I had a little back patio at my house with a small porch and a front yard. Mr. SLS' house is closer to the city center with a porch, but the street -- and all it's foot traffic and noise -- is right there, too. No front yard. As a result, I never go outside and just sit out there with a drink and a book.

The backyard is promising, however. It just needs some work. Mr. SLS is not really a yard person and that's OK. He does plant some tall grass out front in the little patch of earth for me every year and will tend to a potted plant or some homegrown herbs for sure. But he's not really going to tackle overhauling the back yard.

That's why I have decided to find someone to do it. I want a relaxing outdoor space and with a little bit of work I think we can have one.

Here are a couple of ideas I like:

I like this built-in bench idea:

We have a nice-sized tree we could use to hang lanterns from like this:

This one best matches the dimensions of our little yard:

Share links of any ideas you have for our outdoor oasis.

4 comments:

  1. I like the last picture a lot. I'll be looking for my invite. I will bring the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the last picture. I only have a tiny front patio so I am not much help but I would say go to Lowes.com and sign up to get their lookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like all of those ideas. we have a decent yard but no one who wants to take on the project. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the last picture a lot. I'll be looking for my invite. I will bring the wine.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy