"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Things that make me cuss

I have a coworker who is pregnant. That's nice right? Not so much.

She's the third woman I work with to have a baby in the past 18 months, but you'd think no one had ever had a baby before this chick got pregnant.

She has spent the past 7 months complaining about how big she is and how fat she's gotten and how her clothes don't fit and how she has all these inconvenient doctor appointments and so on and so forth.

One day this chick fixed her mouth to ask me to send her all the links for ideas I had saved for my nursery cause she wanted to use them for her nursery. Then she asked me to come to her house and help her decorate her nursery. *blink* If I haven't been to your house in all this time, why am I coming now?

Now, I know some people reading this may assume I'm bitter because of my barren womb. Nope. When the other two ladies were pregnant we feted them with gifts and they talked about and showed pictures of their nurseries and I was even part of the emergency plan for one of them in case they went into labor at work. They send me pics and we talk about their kids all of the time, watch them at day care on Web cam and they even bring them to work sometimes just so I can love the babies up and play with them.

No, it's *this* chick that's on my last nerve.

Yesterday she gets to work and the first thing out of her mouth is, "I told my husband if I go into labor at work you would take me to the hospital because you drive so fast in your little sports car." I just frowned and blinked at her because, um, you and whatever offal and other yuck that falls out from between your legs are not getting in my "little sports car."

Later in the afternoon I was trying to track down a reporter to verify what I thought was an error in something that had gone live on the Interwebz (I was right, it was wrong) and she comes to my desk to prattle on about something to do with the baby/her belly and I cut her off by saying, "I am working." She makes a face like I'm a bitch (I am) and walks off. Then when I put my laptop in my bag and pushed my chair in at 6 p.m. she asked, "How do you do all your edits and leave on time everyday?!" I said, "I work instead of chitchatting cause I have a life outside of this building and I want to get to it" and then I walked off.

I can't wait until this baby gets here in two months so she can take her ass on maternity leave.

/vent

12 comments:

  1. I am LMAO because I can so see your face when you were "blinking" at her. I don't see any problems with the way you're handling the situation because you KNOW I'm not all gaga about babies and pregnant women. Neither are new concepts, so "miss me" with all that baby talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " "I work instead of chitchatting cause I have a life outside of this building and I want to get to it" and then I walked off."

    I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT... HI-LAR-IOUS!!! And she's sounding a bit crazy with that wanting to use your ideas for her nursery... would have loved to see your reaction to that!

    If it were me, I'd cut off all non-work related communication (I've had to do this with a co-worker and after a few weeks I'm pretty sure said co-worker got the hint). Yours obviously feels a certain comfort level with you that she can just babble on about random woes... easy way to stop that is to not even entertain the conversation(s)... related to pregnancy or otherwise!

    My two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I work instead of chitchatting cause I have a life outside of this building and I want to get to it" and then I walked off."

    I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT... HI-LAR-IOUS!!! And she sound's a tad crazy with that wanting to use your nursery ideas... seriously! WDDTA?!?!?!

    I'd suggest cutting off all non-work related conversations with her (I've had to do this with a co-worker and after a couple weeks I'm pretty sure said co-worker got the hint). I say this b/c yours obviously feels a certain comfort level with you that she can just babble on about random ish at any given moment and you'll stop everything and listen. Easy way to stop that is to not have the convo at all... pregnancy-related or otherwise!

    Yes, it's stand-offish, but some folks deserve that treatment... my two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/10/2010

    sigh. some first-time mommies don't know when to stop, especially those who were a bit self-centered before becoming pregnant. while i think your strategy was harsh, i also think it will be effective. when i was preggers with no. 1 i danced up to a female friend at work to show her a picture of my ultrasound. she coiled up in disgust and made it clear she wanted nothing to do with my ultrasound picture or me for that matter. I snatched it away and made a point of not talking to her about my pregnancy. we remained cordial colleagues, but i had assumed she was as happy about my pregnancy and she was not. that was my fault. i adjusted my behavior and moved on. even now i try not to talk about my children unless asked because i know not everyone wants to hear every "cute" little thing that they do. if you want to make amends, and i am not sure that you do, you can always say you were having a rough day and needed to focus on work. that's very true. i also will say this that some folks try to make everything about them and draw people into their lives. i run like the (insert favorite phrase here) whenever i encounter people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/10/2010

    well, i wrote a long reply, and i don't know what happened to it. don't have the energy to write another one. you did the right thing. leave her alone. she will get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/10/2010

    Sorry, about being cut-off in mid comment. I had to leave my desk because I am working as well. I think too many people concentrate on themselves too much. Also, she does seem to be sensitive to your "situation" no need to be to hers. Just be honest and notice how things will change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, you really don't like her, do you? LOL
    It seems she really wants you to like her and be her friend. She's trying really hard to have some type of connection with you. But you're not having it. Why hasn't she taken the hint?
    I don't know if I could be so honest and frank. I tend to be more cordial and polite without letting on my true feelings. But your reactions cracked me up !

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO @ "I work instead of chitchatting cause I have a life outside of this building and I want to get to it"

    I don't think she'll be bothering you with endless chitchat anymore unless she is clueless.

    That said, some first-time mommies have a tendency to blab on and on and on about their pregnancy and when their kid took their first poo, their first roll off the bed, their first taste of strained spinach. Frankly, IDK. And, it's pretty annoying, especially since it Just. Ain't. That. Special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3/10/2010

    work is not the maternity ward, it's not the OB's office, it's not your girlfriend's house. This lady needs some real galpals in her life, so she can stop leaning on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have already shared my profane opinion of what I think of that batch. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO @ "I work instead of chitchatting cause I have a life outside of this building and I want to get to it"

    I don't think she'll be bothering you with endless chitchat anymore unless she is clueless.

    That said, some first-time mommies have a tendency to blab on and on and on about their pregnancy and when their kid took their first poo, their first roll off the bed, their first taste of strained spinach. Frankly, IDK. And, it's pretty annoying, especially since it Just. Ain't. That. Special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8/20/2011

    well, i wrote a long reply, and i don't know what happened to it. don't have the energy to write another one. you did the right thing. leave her alone. she will get the point.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy