"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Friday, April 16, 2010

The road less traveled (now that we have found an alternate route)

As you know, relationships are fluid and ours continues to evolve.

I am a planner. Friends and family say I always need a project, a goal to be working toward. That's how I approach traveling. I consult schedules to make sure there is no school/Army band/gig, then I pick a place, do research, narrow down choices for lodging and flight, then book it.

I then come up with a list of places to see, things to do and organize them by day. In a calendar. With address and contact information and times and distance from hotel. Yeah. I create a vacation dossier in a manila folder. That's me.

I plan what I'm wearing and start packing and pulling together oufits days ahead of time. The night before departure, I lay out what I'm wearing to fly, recheck my dossier for missing info, and lay out all the things I need in the a.m. that will also need to go in my bag. Then I go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I get up when the alarm goes off, bathe, straighten up the house, do a last check and then, I'm ready to go. Once I arrive at my destination and get settled into the hotel, I consult the list of things to do as I NEED TO DO THOSE THINGS. I WROTE THEM DOWN. IN A CALENDAR. (Here's where I should mention the potential panic attack I can have if something is off with the flight or blows my schedule. Instead I'll just let you imagine it).

I realized when I took my mom to Paris in 2006 (or 2005...can't remember) that I got it from her. She totally LURVED my lists and schedules and planning. We got along swimmingly.

Mr. SLS is more, ummmmmmmm, spontaneous. Yes, that's it, spontaneous. He decides to take a trip and he says, "hey baby, let's go to such and such." I say OK and he turns back to the computer and buys the tickets. (He has learned not to book a hotel without letting me do my intense research for cleanliness, amenities and such).

Then we go. Now, our departure could be THE NEXT DAY. And the next day is when he will pack a bag, sometimes 15 mins before we leave. That's how he got to Guadalajara last year with one shirt. And how he got to London without...something. And how he ended up in Hilton Head with no swim trunks.

This used to stress me out. *I* used to stress him out.

But last year we finally hit our stride as traveling companions! We went to Guadalajara to visit some friends and then on to Puerto Vallarta. I agreed NOT to make any lists and schedules. We just did what we felt like doing everyday. It was the best trip we have been on yet. Very relaxing.

For the trip that we are on right now, I have a loose-ish schedule for two things I absolutely want to do and ideas for other things we *can* do. I still packed early and at the time I am writing this post, Mr. SLS has yet to pull out a bag or anything, but I decided not to let that bother me cause, really, why am I stressed about *his* bag?!! *My* bag is packed. Let him sort out how to get whatever will inevitably be missing from his suitcase.

What about you, what's your travel style?

6 comments:

  1. I find that the longer the trip, the farther in advance I start assembling whatever I'm going to take, although I'm perfectly capable of throwing everything together a half hour before it's time to leave.

    My husband has a bunch of clothing that I made him buy at 7-11 or drugstores because he forgot to bring something or other. This is because the last thing I want to do while I'm on vacation is go through the painstaking process of shopping with him for something he already has a perfectly good one of at home.

    I like to figure out things to do, but if possible I try to be pretty loose about scheduling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like you. I have to plan, but mainly because of my finances. I'm always looking for the best airline rates and want to get a good deal on a hotel. (I took my sister to New York for her 30th birthday and got a $400+/night hotel for less than $200/night !) I also have to think about what I'm going to wear days in advance just in case I need another pair of shoes or jewelry to match an outfit or to pick up last minute toiletries. But most of all, I think I'm not spontaneous because I have such a rigid schedule. I teach Jazzercise 6 days a week and it would be so unprofessional to not show up 'cause I decided to go on a trip. The folks I teach for need time to get a replacement.

    One day, however, I'll be brave and make that phone call: I can't teach tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely hate planning anything. Wish we were there kicking it with y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't plan a doggone thing. But, as you've probably figured out, I sometimes don't have enough time to plan.

    I've stopped worrying about what will be missing because no matter where you are, you can always buy a toothbrush or cheap T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't plan a doggone thing. But, as you've probably figured out, I sometimes don't have enough time to plan.

    I've stopped worrying about what will be missing because no matter where you are, you can always buy a toothbrush or cheap T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that the longer the trip, the farther in advance I start assembling whatever I'm going to take, although I'm perfectly capable of throwing everything together a half hour before it's time to leave.

    My husband has a bunch of clothing that I made him buy at 7-11 or drugstores because he forgot to bring something or other. This is because the last thing I want to do while I'm on vacation is go through the painstaking process of shopping with him for something he already has a perfectly good one of at home.

    I like to figure out things to do, but if possible I try to be pretty loose about scheduling them.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy