"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I was pregnant for a whole week

For two days last week I was happy. It seemed our latest and last IVF cycle had worked. And it had been a promising cycle from the start.

They retrieved 8 eggs from one ovary (I was a little ticked that after getting cut last fall they still couldn't get to my left ovary when it was time for egg retrieval). Six of them fertilized and made it to blastocyst stage. I had a 5-day transfer of two blasts. Two made it to freeze.

We went away for my birthday. I avoided caffeine, soft cheeses, raw seafood, lunch meat and alcohol, exercised in moderation, got lots of rest and took all my meds.

On Tuesday, April 27, I got the news -- my HCG level was 335! There was a baby in my belly! Anything greater than 50 is good but 335 was a great number.

Then they checked it on Thursday. 469. Good, but, it should have doubled in 48 hours. They tell me to come in on Saturday for another test. 699. Still increasing but not at the rate it should be. Come back on Monday.

I go in yesterday and it's 790. Yes, another increase, but by now it should be more than 1,000. They think it's an ectopic pregnancy and tell me to come back tomorrow for more tests, and a sonogram.

This morning I go in and Mr. SLS comes with me. They take my blood, and do the sonogram. They can see little blurs here and there, but nothing that is distinctively a sac.

About 15 mins ago I got a call from my doc. My HCG level dropped. 750. It's an ectopic pregnancy. They won't give me a shot yet to help make sure it goes away as they want it to happen naturally and believe it will, since my HCG levels are dropping. I go back on Thursday for them to check again and if my HCG rises, they will give me the shot.

So here we are. Or, there we were.

P.S. This is just one of the problems referenced in yesterday's post.

23 comments:

  1. Hang in there babe. There is silver lining in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if my comment made it through or not. Sorry and I'm praying for you just seem so inadequate- but I am so sorry and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'all are def in my prayers, miss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry. It is truly a devastating thing to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Hopefully it will work out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with CreoleInDC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. Damn. Damn. Damn. My prayers are with you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiffany In Houston5/04/2010

    I have no words. I will still continue to pray. That's all I know to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to read this, you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss. I'll be keeping a good thought for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry. Even having been there, there are sometimes no words. Hugs and prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so sorry - my husband and i went through this earlier this month with a natural pregnancy...i was pregnant for a week as well...it hurt. I'll be saying prayers for your and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for your peace. I am sorry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kirsten8/09/2010

    I am so sorry for your loss. I experienced an ectopic pregnancy 3 yrs ago(but not from IVF) it was a twin pregnancy, my 1st infact and it was very difficult to cope. Knowing that GOD has let you live to see another day and knowing that he will bless you when he sees fit is what has helped keep me going. So know that about yourself as well and I have you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for your peace. I am sorry

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry. Even having been there, there are sometimes no words. Hugs and prayers....

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy