"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

This made me laugh this morning...

But there's some truth here, so you might give it a read: Black 'n Bougie: For every @HillHarper, there are 39 taco-eatin’ Pookies & Ray-Nays – Do we know a “Good Man” when we see one?

Personally, I think the definition of a good man varies depending on the woman. What's good to me might be yucky to you. For instance, I don't like musclebound men. That looks disgusting to me all those lumps and bumps. I prefer leaner bodies to all that bumpiness. I like nerdy bookish men. I'm not looking for the smoothest brother in the club with the expensive tailored suit and the shiny new car and all that. That's a turn off to me. I'm looking at that brother at the bar who might be a little shy. Why? Cause I'm not the shiniest thing in the club and I'm a little shy and we can probably have a great conversation. And being able to talk and laugh with a guy is way more important to me than what he looks like.

As for potential, after 35 you need to be doing whatever it is you had planned to do with your life. Not getting ready to do it, or making plans to do it or talking about doing it, just doing it. Dreamers who don't have a main gig bringing in regular income til they can get their dream off the ground should keep rolling past me, too. Every man in my family has a business of some sort and I have seen them provide for their families while working their dream so I know it can be done without laying on your mama's couch.

And don't get all indignant in the comments about how some brothers get started late and all that -- if you are approaching 40 and have had the same 20 years to get your shit together that I have, you should have something to show for it. Now your something doesn't have to equal mine, but you should have a pretty good foundation at 40.

Finally, let's put this question to the brothers: Do you know a "Good Woman" when you see one? Cause I've encountered many a man talking about alllllll he wants his woman to be -- beautiful, educated, career-driven, has her own money, lady in the streets, freaky in the sheets and so forth -- who then turn around and spend time with Susie Stripper cause she got a fat ass and tight abs and can fall down in a split from the top of the pole. Reconcile that for me.

2 comments:

  1. LOL @ lumps and bumps. I hear ya. Some muscles look they could pop at any second with a little bit of poking ya know?...lol.

    Like I said on Chele's blog (BnB), a 'good' man or woman is so subjective. It really boils down to what both parties need (and want?) from each other.

    As to the men who get down with Susie Stripper but claim they want a 'good' woman; I don't know what to tell you. Call it the 'visual weakness' of their gender? I dunno. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ lumps and bumps. I hear ya. Some muscles look they could pop at any second with a little bit of poking ya know?...lol.

    Like I said on Chele's blog (BnB), a 'good' man or woman is so subjective. It really boils down to what both parties need (and want?) from each other.

    As to the men who get down with Susie Stripper but claim they want a 'good' woman; I don't know what to tell you. Call it the 'visual weakness' of their gender? I dunno. It boggles the mind.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy