"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday Dinner!

I promised Mr. SLS last week that I would cook a big Sunday dinner because I hadn't done it in awhile so I went to work this morning (filling in for someone on vacation, aren't I nice?), then set out for the grocery store where I got a chicken to bake, a cabbage and other stuff.

But the star of the dinner is my punchbowl cake. Mr. SLS *loves* this cake and it's so simple to make: angel food cake (or if you aren't watching calories, pound cake), vanilla pudding, whipped cream and berries (I use raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries). Then using a glass punchbowl you layer all the ingredients -- cake, pudding, berries, cream -- until the bowl is full. Garnish with a couple of berries and a mint leaf or two. Then put it in the fridge. It's a great summer dessert, not that bad for the waistline and pretty.

Now before I sign off I would like to encourage everyone to make their own whipped cream. It is not that hard!! And it tastes better and is better for you.

All you need is 8 ounces of whipping cream, some confectioners sugar, some vanilla and a pinch of salt.

Here's a secret my Granny taught me: chill the mixing bowl and your WIRE whisk in the freezer before whipping. Pour the whipping cream in the bowl and turn your mixer on low. Throw in the dash of salt right at the beginning (I dunno why, but Granny said do it so I do).


Let it whip for about 30 seconds, then increase your mixer speed gradually while pouring in 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2 to 3 tsps of confectioners sugar. Then turn it up to high and let it whip away.

When your cream looks like this, you're done!


And it only took about 5 minutes total.

Alright my timer is going off so I need to get my chicken out of the oven. Hope you are having a great father's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy