"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, August 23, 2010

Dysfunction Junction

For years now I've been witness to a relationship that grows more and more dysfunctional each day.

In the past I would listen to each person complain and gripe about the other one and offer advice for how things could be better, but then I realized that these people don't want things to change. I stopped caring.

Don't get me wrong, they don't like how things are either, but neither one is willing to meet the other even a tiny bit of the way so they are stuck in this neverending cycle of disrespect and drama. And, for various reasons, these people can't or won't just walk away from each other. This is one of the reasons I limit my visits home.

You see, this dysfunctional couple is my mother and brother.

Despite ALLLLLLLL my mama's grandstanding, my brother lives in her basement again. Is he paying rent? No. I know this because my mama talked about it really loudly all week to be sure he heard her saying it.

Does he help around the house in little ways, such as taking out the trash, washing dishes, buying groceries, paying the power bill? No.

Did he come to the hospital with us when I took our mom for her surgery? No. Did he ask how she was doing when I came home to pick up a change of clothes for her because the doc had decided she needed to stay overnight at the hospital? No. (I should note here that the reason I went home for her surgery is because she asked me to come as she said she could not count on my brother, you know, who lives in the house with her everyday).

No, he complained about how she's so mean and ugly to him and nags him all of the time and is nosy and won't let him bring women to the house. *blink*

So to sum up: my mama continues to complain about my brother mooching off her, while allowing him to mooch and my brother continues to complain about her while doing whateverinthehellhewants with a bunch of stank attitude on her dime.

Gotta love family. I will continue to love mine from right here in D.C., many states away from them.

2 comments:

  1. I got a mom and brother like this and while he's in jail, she continues to buy his drawz, food, toilettries...Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy