"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Friday, August 6, 2010

Ring(s) Around the Rosie

I generally wear my wedding rings everyday, but I take them off at night and if I'm running late I might forget to put them on.

On Tuesday I told Mr. SLS that I was doing drinks after work with some friends on Wednesday. He said, OK, cool. I went to bed late Tuesday which made me oversleep on Wednesday and I was running late and forgot my rings.

Yesterday morning Mr. SLS playfully noted that I had forgotten to wear my wedding rings the day before with the implication being that I was out doing something I had no business the evening before when I was supposed to be "getting drinks with friends."

Of course I wasn't and he knows I wasn't, but this made me wonder: would you notice if your spouse wasn't wearing their wedding rings?

I think the wedding ring thing meant more to me BEFORE I was married than it does now, as I realized that rings on or off, I'm married.

But I know some folks think of their rings as a status symbol -- not the size of the diamonds or whatever, but the fact that they signal "I was chosen. Somebody cared enough about me to make me his wife."

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I like my rings and appreciate what they represent, but I don't always wear them. Some days I wear them, some days I don't. Same goes for hubby. We're cool with it and it doesn't make us any more or less married.

    However, call me crazy, but when I was pregnant, I was super super anal about me wearing them always and made sure he wore his when we were together. I felt some kinda way about being married AND pregnant (no knock or disrespect against unmarried pregnant women).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely know what you mean about the "status" aspect of the ring. It had a security and a familial aspect that I really loved when I was married. But, as you show, it's totally about your mindset, and that has nothing to do with what's on your finger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take my rings off as soon as I get in the house. Funny, my husband is better at remembering his ring (and mine) than I am. Bottom line: Rings don't make me married. We're married because we made the vows to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my rings and appreciate what they represent, but I don't always wear them. Some days I wear them, some days I don't. Same goes for hubby. We're cool with it and it doesn't make us any more or less married.

    However, call me crazy, but when I was pregnant, I was super super anal about me wearing them always and made sure he wore his when we were together. I felt some kinda way about being married AND pregnant (no knock or disrespect against unmarried pregnant women).

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy