"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Saying goodbye

I've been gone longer than usual because my Granny passed away last Wednesday. It wasn't unexpected -- my dad told me she had declined to have some surgery and the doctor said she would likely pass away in the next two weeks -- but it was sooner than we thought it would be: just two days after she declined the surgery. Thankfully I was able to get there in time to say goodbye.

I am...sad, but then, I'm not either. I'm sad, because as I've written on this blog before, Granny was very loving and I was her ONLY granddaughter and as a kid, she was the ONE person who constantly and consistently told me she loved me. I never doubted her love for me and my brother, though I (too) often took her for granted.

I'm kinda not sad because in the past few years she had gotten to the point where she couldn't cook, bake or socialize. Granny was all about the cute and the baking and she was unhappy. I know she is peaceful now so, while I would have loved to have her with me for much much longer, I know it's not all about me and what I wanted.

In any case, my Granny was jazzy. Check her out:



And something she would have loved happened: our family got together and laughed and shared stories and hugged and cried and ate and filled her house the way it always used to be before she got sick.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your Granny. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy