"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Top Chef: Desserts

I watch this show and am amazed at what they create. I do wonder, though, if a judge doesn't like an ingredient how do they judge a pastry?

For example, I hate coconut. Hate. HATE. Nothing I ever taste with coconut in is ever going to be good to me. Won't matter how moist or pretty it is.

I also don't like banana-flavored stuff. Or nuts other than peanuts in my sweets. Or mango, apricot, guava -- none of that. Yuck.

So, I can't believe all the judges have liked all the ingredients in these various cakes and desserts.

How do they fairly and accurately judge? Any chefs out there?

4 comments:

  1. I love cooking, but I could never be one of those judges! I hate coconut too ;) I wouldn't be able to eat anything coconut-ish at all. Maybe they judge it on technical skills too?

    -Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked inside of a catering company for a few years and had to taste EVERYTHING in order to be able to confidently describe and sell to my clients. I was able to give objective thoughts on items I didn't like. Not sure how. *lol* I hate lamb, but my head chef made a delicious bbq lamb salad. While I didn't exactly care for the taste of the lamb meat, it was prepared excellently. The flavors were balanced, the meat was tender, the texture of the lamb mixed with the other ingredients (currants, walnuts, etc) was very pleasing to the mouth. I recommended the dish often. Hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like desserts like that so I couldn't be a judge either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cooking, but I could never be one of those judges! I hate coconut too ;) I wouldn't be able to eat anything coconut-ish at all. Maybe they judge it on technical skills too?

    -Delilah

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy