"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A happy medium

I broke down this week and bought a Barbie for my niece. It's what she wanted.

I bought her four books, too, and I chose the fashion designer Barbie because she told me she wanted to do that when she grew up but, lawdy, it was hard. My finger hovered over the button for a full 10 minutes before I hit enter.

I *hate* buying toys for kids. It seems wasteful when so many of our kids are stupid.

I prefer books and college fund donations. Or activities. I'll take you to a movie, a museum, an amusement park or to paint some pottery -- stuff like that.

But toys? Half the time they are broken or forgotten about by mid-January. Meanwhile that book helps with reading skills and the college fund donation invests in the future.

Yes, I'm Ebbie Scrooge up in here.

3 comments:

  1. I hate buying plastic toys for kids too. And yet when I ask my little cousins what they want for Christmas Barbie always makes the list. I may be their least favorite relative since I always ignore these requests. Books are always my first choice.

    xx,
    Delilah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the books and the toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate buying plastic toys for kids too. And yet when I ask my little cousins what they want for Christmas Barbie always makes the list. I may be their least favorite relative since I always ignore these requests. Books are always my first choice.

    xx,
    Delilah

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy