"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It's Wednesday. Damn.

I work in the media field. This is a business where people are usually news junkies.

But, it's also a business full of nosy ass people. That irritates me.

I don't need or want to know everything. Don't get me wrong, I'm not incurious, I just don't need to know who the new person is that was walking down the hall as I headed to the elevator. I don't care about who that is until I have to work with them, which in most cases is never, otherwise I would know them already. I'll be nice and smile -- I do this with everyone I pass in the hallway -- but who they are is not something I'm pulling people to the side to ask and sending emails about.

I work with people who need to know this, though. Not because the person is odd-looking or hot/cute, but just because they are NEW and they feel they need to know everything about everyone in the building.

See, that's nosy to me.

I also work with folks who like to stress themselves out unnecessarily.

I try to spend my energy on things that will give us the most bang for the buck. If I know we are not pursuing a story because we've decided the news value is minimal, I do not waste time looking at photos and shit reporters send for that not very newsworthy story. We aren't doing it. ::Delete:: I don't care how pretty the photos are, pretty photos do not suddenly make the story newsworthy. Either it's news or it ain't.

But my coworkers stress out because, OMG! they sent photos. So? I can take a picture with my phone right now. We gonna freak out about that, too?

Perspective. Get some.

/rant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy