"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lesson learned?

Remember a couple of months ago I wrote about a friend who had done some cross country moving to be with an SO who broke up with her when the long distance became too much?

Well, now they are broken up for good and she wants to come back to the right coast. I am sad about that because I like both of them and had hopes they would work out.

But it does make me wonder about commitments and such. I have a coworker who is in a longterm committed relationship -- including a child -- and they are more solid than many of the married people I know. I have another coworker who is divorced and in a longterm relationship that seems happy. Both couples are in it for the longhaul and jumping the broom isn't important to them.

I am focused on marriage because...why? Does the piece of paper matter or the level of commitment?

And frankly given the demise of my marriage, am I focused on marriage NOW?

Marriage was important to me because I wanted a family. With the likelihood of my having a family decreasing each day, I'm not sure I care about being married again.

That doesn't mean I don't want a companion or life partner or whatever, but I can't, AT THE MOMENT, see myself getting married again.

But then, I am licking wounds right now so...never say never.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the cartoon :).

    I go back and forth on the marriage thing. I'm in no rush to walk down the aisle, though I'm in it for the long haul with my boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany In Houston12/15/2010

    I hate that for your friend. You know I'm not advocate of cross country moves with no ring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the piece of paper means something. It changes things. That's why some refuse to get it and others run to it. It's never just a piece of paper in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy