"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Monday, February 14, 2011

Life is about choices...

Sometimes we forget that. I could be sad today because I don't have a valentine again but...

OK, when I started writing this about an hour ago, I was all sweetness, light, hearts and arrows.

Then as I sat on the phone during a conference call and scrolled through my Facebook and other feeds and saw all the love-related stuff, I started to feel a little teary.

This morning Mr. SLS told me Happy Valentine's Day when he woke me up (I was oversleeping). We met about two weeks before V-day and that very first one he had a gig and so we only got to see each other for a little bit after the gig ended, but he still got me some flowers and a card. It was nice. Not necessary at the time, but nice.

In the years since I can't even tell you what we've done on Valentine's day. I tried to remember what we did last year and my mind drew a blank. But as I type this I remember now that we took a couples cooking class, which was really fun and I would recommend it if you're looking for something outside the norm to do.

I didn't know this time last year that my marriage was over. Had no idea. I'm looking at the pics from that cooking class on my phone right now and seeing the smiles on our faces and wondering...what the hell happened? I mean, I know what happened but...I dunno what I'm trying to say here. Sigh.

Anyway, I've been relying on this song by Kirk Franklin to lift my spirits when I feel them dipping. It's particularly good for me because I smile. A lot. People at work comment on it -- that I always seem happy. I'm not always happy. But I know how to fake it. And it won't always be this way....

If you are trying to decide whether or not to be happy today or tomorrow or next week, maybe this song will help you, too.

Take care and Happy Valentine's day.



P.S. I'm wearing my wedding set today, partly because dammit it's pretty and I love my engagement ring and partly because it reminds me that, not so long ago, my husband thought he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. Rather than focus on the end, I'm going to CHOOSE to focus on the beginning.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/14/2011

    I so feel you on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confession - sometimes I'll still wear my engagement ring around the house. *shrug* It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you've posted this, it's been on constant repeat for me. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confession - sometimes I'll still wear my engagement ring around the house. *shrug* It's pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy