"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Damaged Goods

The grand romance my friends had hoped would be sparked between me and dude didn't happen last night.

Mainly because I wasn't in the mood for chitchatting and small talking and getting to know someone. It wasn't even the shy/awkward thing with me this time.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was perfectly nice -- attractive, smart, all that -- and I was friendly enough, but I did not exhibit my usual SLS sparkle and charm. My friends noticed and huddled for a Plan B, but I shut that down.

No, the issue was that a few of the people we were hanging out with "know" me, but didn't know me and Mr. SLS were broken up so I was asked a few times where he was, how he was doing and when his next gig would be and I had to explain we weren't together any longer (because the alternative was to have them thinking I was stepping out on my husband), which always leads to "OMG! Are you serious?! You two seemed so happy together and such fun. What happened?! When did this happen?! Are you OK?" to which I then respond, "It just didn't work out. It was tough for awhile, but I'm doing better now" which leads to them saying "I am SO sorry. I didn't even know anything was wrong. You two always seemed to love each other. Damn."

And with that as a backdrop, I started feeling like damaged ruined marriage still married goods and chopping it up with some new dude just seemed wrong and out of order.

I was home in my bed by 11:30 p.m. and the guy gave me his number and asked me to call and let him know I got home alright, which I did.

And that's that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry. You are not damaged goods. It's a shame that people won't accept a simple explanation and move on. Did they really think you were going to into a long drawn explanation of why you and your husband are getting a divorce all out in the public?????

    I hate people. I know they meant well, but I still hate people.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy