"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Friendship Reciprocation

I had a couple of friends over last night, including and especially two ladies who have been great blessings to me -- one that I blogged about two years ago and another who let me cry in her office during the lowest and hardest times last year when I couldn't get through a day without breaking down. I was glad I could do something nice for those ladies, even if it was a small something.

I can be a terrible friend sometimes because I am selfish and too often self-involved. MY problems, MY issues, MY stuff. I think the relationship that I take the most from is my friendship with Honeysmoke. Though she is dealing with some heavy issues right now, she always makes time for me. Even when it is bath time for her kids. Last week she sent flowers as an apology to ME because SHE thought she hadn't been a great friend to me during a recent trip. Sigh.

I need to be a better friend. This is non-negotiable. Friendship is not a one-way street. No GOOD relationship can survive if one person does all the giving and the other does all the taking.

Something I *really* need to reflect on is this: In my relationships with women, I am often the taker. In my relationships with men, I am often the giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy