"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Friday, August 12, 2011

Workplace behavior

A coworker and I had an exchange earlier where we agreed to disagree in the end but I'm going to put this out there to you guys as I am curious what you think.

I think that we should all be professional in the workplace. That said, I ALSO think coworkers should be cognizant of what mood a coworker is in. We are employees but we are people, too, and that doesn't end when we punch in to work.

For ME that means that if I ask someone a question and they are a bit snappy with me, I back off and leave them be. I don't know why that person is snappy. Maybe they went to file divorce papers today. Or got a flat tire on the way to work. Or had a fight with their spouse. Or don't feel well.

I say, read the context clues and act accordingly. This person is not in the mood for me and all my questions right now. I'll email them if it's urgent, or talk to them later if it's not.

My coworker says you should go out of your way to explain now is not a good time yadayada.

I'm not disputing that, but, there are some people here (and we were talking about a SPECIFIC CO-IRKER) for whom that would not be enough. Because, then, they would want to know why? What's wrong? Are you OK? Can I help? Is there anything I can do?

And, I'm hateful enough to say, "Yes, there's something you can do, you can leave me the f*** alone!" Which, if they had read the initial context clues, body language, terse initial response etc., they should have picked up that I am not, at that moment, in the mood for answering a bunch of nosy azz questions.

I can accept if I am wrong about this as I am admittedly moody, hateful and funnyactin'. LOL!

4 comments:

  1. Natasha8/12/2011

    First time commenting, I think...I tend to back off and leave the person alone. For example, I read my boss' cues by whether she bothers to look at or say hello to me in the morning. If I get nothing I leave her alone until she's good and ready to talk. If she speaks then we're laughing in the office. No reason to give out explanations NOR do I want to ask what's wrong. Usually it's something personal and i don't want to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It's obvious something is wrong so I'm not going to keep talking to the person. However, coworker needs to chill with the misplaced anger. Not professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people should read context clues, but I also think that in the workplace, you need to be ready to sometimes have to put up with stuff for the sake of getting your job done. I don't feel like it's my job to coddle you just because you're having a bad day. I can sure enough leave you alone unless what I need is important, but I won't put anything I have to get done on hold for you. ::shrug:: Maybe I'm a jerk for that.

    I do know what you mean about people who wouldn't leave you alone even if you said "today's not a good day..." those people tend to also be the ones who don't read signs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. It's obvious something is wrong so I'm not going to keep talking to the person. However, coworker needs to chill with the misplaced anger. Not professional.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy