"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, September 15, 2011

The last anniversary

This is a pic from our reception.
I decided I want to use this last wedding anniversary to remember my wedding day.

Four years ago on a beautiful sunny Saturday, I got married in a garden surrounded by 50 of the family and friends who were dearest to me and Mr. SLS, which included the officiant and the musicians. We had just one outside vendor, the florist. Everyone else was a friend.

I woke up sad that morning because it had rained so hard the night before -- like torrential rains where you could barely see out of the windshield -- that I didn't think we would be able to have our garden wedding and instead would have to take the whole operation inside.

I went to get my hair done and when I stepped out of the house it was still misty and damp. I decided to get over it, cause inside or out, I would be married to Mr. SLS and that was the best part of the whole thing.

I talked to Mr. SLS (I was at my house and he was at his, we didn't see each other before the wedding) and everything was loverly.

I ate breakfast with my mom. The makeup artist came to get me all painted and spackled. My photographer friend met me at the the house to take candid shots of me getting ready, my little filmmaker cousin was at the wedding location taking video. And as I was leaving the house, I talked to my friend who was staying a block away from the wedding location and she told me the sun was out and shining and everything was all dried up and the garden wedding was on.

I showed up, got dressed, walked down the stairs, met up with my daddy, walked outside and down the aisle and met Mr. SLS at the altar. I vowed to love him and laugh with him 'til death did us part.

Now back to reality: In the past four years we have gone from madly in love to divorce. I always thought that we talked about everything and communicated well. We went to a trained counselor before we got married, not just the two or three sessions with a pastor cause we wanted to start off on the best footing. We agreed that we would always be honest with each other, no matter what, so that we could fix problems before they grew too big. We agreed that if a problem got too big for us, we would return to the counselor. I supported him with his music and he supported me with all my harebrained schemes. We were the best of friends and didn't have money problems or bedroom problems and we talked to each other.

Yet somehow, we still ended up here. Sigh.

3 comments:

  1. Thirteenlbs9/15/2011

    I don't know what to say...but the memory seems lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tiffanyinhouston9/16/2011

    And this will pass, and you WILL find love again because I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mywhateva9/17/2011

    What Tiffany said. It was a gorgeous day. I had forgotten about the rain the night before.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy