"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Reflections: Buying A House

Nine years ago today at about 11:30 a.m., I closed on my house. I bought in 2002 because, in my estimation, the rent was too damn high here in the Washington Metro area and I couldn't see giving my money to a landlord when I could be putting that cash toward a property of my own.

Still, that didn't stop me from being scared. Was I doing the right thing? Could I really afford it? What if something big broke?

But here it is, nine years later and I've never missed or been late with a mortgage payment, I've made renovations, I've furnished it twice, I've replaced the windows, the roof, the HVAC, the awning and some of the electrical work. I learned how to paint, how to use a drill, how to change light fixtures, install a doorbell and what drill bit to use on my plaster walls.

Initially I was scared to sleep upstairs, so I slept on my sofa in the basement, near the door, clutching my purse. Then, I moved one level up to the family room off of the kitchen. Then I moved to the top level and into the guest room. Eventually, I moved into my bedroom.

That first winter was a cold one. I was scared to cut the heat up too high because I was frightened about getting an astronomical gas bill. I was also sweaty that first summer because I was afraid to cut the air down too low because I didn't want to get a crazy power bill AND I was terrified of sleeping with the windows open as I didn't want someone to climb in and kill me.

If you had asked me back then if I would still be living in that same house nine years later, I would have said, "of course not!" I knew I would be married someday and assumed I would sell or rent my house and me and my beau would buy another together.

It was hard coming back to my house earlier this year. I felt like I was moving backward instead of forward. I didn't really want to leave the home I shared with Mr. SLS because it was home to me. My house was just a house.

However, I am grateful that I had a house to come back to when my marriage failed. And it is starting to feel like home again, though there is so much stuff I still want and need to do in there before I can say I'm "done."

And here's a song I sing in the shower a lot:

1 comment:

  1. Mywhateva9/28/2011

    What a gorgeous voice she has. That is truly your home. You are supposed to be there. It refused to be sold, and it refused to be rented. It is yours.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy