"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I Have News

My divorce hearing was at 10 a.m. today. Mr. SLS was late and had the marriage certificate so I couldn't divorce him in absentia. The clerk was nice though and moved our case to the bottom of the list to give him time to show up.

It was interesting. Most of the other cases were same-sex marriages. And with the exception of us and another black couple who had been married for 23 years, all these folks got married last year.

I thought there would be more to the whole thing, but basically the judge asked us to verify our identities and swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then asked us when we got married, when we separated, whether we had had marital relations during that separation and whether we both had agreed to separate. Then we went over our having no kids or assets to argue over and that was it. It took all of 3 minutes. Seems like the dissolution of a family should take longer than that. Sigh.

I thought I would be sad when this day came, but I sit here now eating brunch with Mr. SLS and it feels like any other day. I'm considering going to work.

Our divorce will be final in 30 days if neither of us appeals it before then.

5 comments:

  1. ekillian10/19/2011

    come to work, come to work! I miss your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have the right words. I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tiffanyinhouston10/20/2011

    I admire you in more ways than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Singlelif10/21/2011

    At least you are mature enough to not internalize the situation, and maintain some type of relationship with the soon to be ex.  That is sooo hot !  I admire you. Really.

    ReplyDelete

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy