"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

OK, I've been so busy...

Cuttin' up over on Black 'n Bougie today that I was neglecting my OWN blog as I did have something I wanted to talk about today.

This song came on today as I was speeding to work:


And when I heard the line that starts 1:37, I was like, wait, whoa.

See, I was with Jaz, Mary J. and 'em right up until then -- "I know it's hard but know that you can walk away, cause it aint no man out there worth causing you all this pain" -- I can get behind that. 

Then Mary J. said this, "I remember, that pain and n****s is all the same." No ma'am. NO MA'AM to that. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the "My Life", "Share My World" Mary J. Blige fans. I have never stopped listening to "Mary J. Blige: The Tour." 

But I just didn't like that line. I can't quite put my finger on why except it is so.very.bitter.sounding. Hard. Ugly. I envision a woman with twisted lips lighting up a cigarette and sucking her teeth as she says it. I KNOW! It makes me think of Namond's mom from "The Wire" and I hated her so much I wanted to punch her character through my TV.


Anyway, that is all. Carry on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy