"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

You *Can* Go Home Again!

It was so cool to be home with my family. And this was the time to be there as I saw relatives I haven't seen in years and years and years, such as:

My fave great-uncle F, who told me I was even more beautiful than the last time he saw me.

His wife, my fave great-aunt B, who hugged me so tight and told she had missed me and that she thinks about me every year when she cooks okra because I always liked her okra.

My cousin K and his children. He looks so much like his dad now that he's older it was scary.

My cousin C's new girlfriend, who I like a lot. He's doing well after his divorce. Gives me hope.

My cousin S's "oops" baby (he's 19 months), who was on my hip and in my lap for a long time cause he liked him some Cousin SLS.

And it was really great to see my Grandma with three of her seven sisters (another two couldn't make it and then another two are deceased -- one passed away a couple of months ago). Her last living brother wasn't able to make it. But, that's a lot of folks still with us (my great grandparents had 17 children) and my Grandma isn't the oldest!

And various and sundry other relatives.

I will admit that lately when I've gone home I have actually thought about going back to live there. I never thought I would get to that point. I guess this time it didn't feel like the prison it has felt like in the past AND I liked having people around who loved me.

Finally, I got to have one special moment with my Grandma. Now, she may be 90, but she is vain as all get out. So when I went to pick her up, I helped her get dressed. We picked out her wig, her jewelry, her make up and she had her nails done and all that. I never got to play dress up with this grandma cause that wasn't her thing, that was what me and Granny did. It was a nice shared memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy