"There are notes between notes, you know." -- Sarah Vaughan

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Loose Change

So my old roommate is here visiting from Montreal and every time we see each other it's like no time has passed at all! She asked me to come meet her in Barbados in January and I just might do it. Need to stack some more money first, though, cause I ain't going nowhere if my savings account is not back to my comfort level.

Sigh. I don't like being poor-ish. OK, I'm not poor, my money just doesn't flow like it used to when I was married and somebody else was paying the bills.

But, I have made some cuts! I got rid of the housekeeper (she was only coming once a month and my house doesn't get nasty enough that I can't clean it myself now that the cats are gone).

Also, I've never been a big credit card person, I usually put everything on AMEX and pay it off every month, but I realized that using that method I was still just raking the card and not really thinking about the purchase.

Now I pay bills, then put a fixed amount in my checking account (the rest goes to savings) and then only carry my debit cards so I have to think about how much I have and how much I want to spend and if I really want whatever this thing is I'm trying to buy. So far it has worked like gangbusters.

I am blessed though, that I earn enough to keep my home. So many folks lost their homes in the past few years. And thank you to my parents, who taught me to not put my wants before my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use your inside voice ... or I'll put you outside. -- SingLikeSassy